Welcome to the IT, IR & Digitization Unit
The Information Technology (IT) Section of the Library is in charge of the day-to-day management and maintenance of the Institute’s Library Systems. The unit plays an important role in ensuring that all the library systems work effectively to enable easy access to resources by students, faculty and staff. The unit has designed and implemented various systems for the library using some open source systems and providing security support and maintenace.
Digitization of Resources
The IT unit is responsible for the digitization or conversion of some library materials to digital formats for the purposes of storage, preservation and dissemination. Some of these resources include old newspapers, maps, theses, heritage materials and others. The unit is currently resourced with a ScanSnap sv600 scanner that scans a 100-page book in 5 minutes.
Institutional Repository Management
The IT unit is equaly responsible for the management of the Institute’s digital repository. We collect, create and upload the appropriate content to the digital repository to reflect the digital scholarship of the Institute.
The GIJ Digital Repository is a digital service that collects, preserves, and distributes digital materials. It is an open-access electronic archive that maintains and preserves digital copies of scholarly publications of faculty, administrators and students of GIJ.
GIJ Digital Repository facilitates the sharing of digital assets, advances scholarly communication and makes visible theses, research articles, reports, and other documents.
- Oversee the development and management of Library website.
- Lead in the selection of an integrated system, facilitate the installation of the system, and maintain the system after installation as and when needed.
- Formulate policies regarding the use of library systems and provide training for their use.
- Collaborate with other sectional heads to assist their IT needs.
- Identify and develop new and existing technologies specifically designed for libraries and also ensuring smooth migration to new technologies as and when necessary.
- Identify new hardware and software technology, the cost involved in order to plan for appropriate changes and train staff in their application to resolve library-specific problems.
Other Duties of the Unit
- Liaise with the central IT Directorate, faculty and the research directorate to integrate the LMS and Turnitin into the Library Systems.
- Provide effective management and control over library computer hardware and software installations and operations.
- Work with central IT Directorate on user problems related to computers (desktop computers), network infrastructure, and related equipment.
- Establish long term needs for information systems, and plan strategy for developing systems and acquiring hardware to meet application needs.
- Ensure security of the Library Systems, including routine checks on the audit trails and monitor the various activities of users.
- Develop user education for students, academics and visitors, and proactive approach to improving library electronic services.
- Generate system records and reports which support the purchasing history for the Institute’s Libraries.